|Collection||Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.) records|
|Dates of Creation||1915-1979 (bulk 1929-1937)|
|Extent of Description||1 box (.25 linear feet)|
|Creator||Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.)|
Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.)
Church fund raising
International Council of Nurses
Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod in North America
|Access Conditions||Collection is open for research.|
|Copyrights||Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the Swenson Center and the copyright holder.|
|Administrative or Biographical History||
The Lutheran Hospital opened February 4, 1916 at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Fifth Street in Moline, Illinois. It was formed under the auspices of the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod, which in 1913 established a board of directors tasked with creating the hospital. Rev. A. F. Bergstrom was named the first chairman of the hospital's board. A rented building served as the first hospital and, in 1915, a benefit concert was held to raise funds to build a permanent institution. Olaf Cervin was chosen as the architect for the permanent building. A school of nursing was also established at the hospital, with Miss Emelia Dahlgren serving as the first superintendent of the hospital and school. The first nurses graduated in 1919. The school of nursing partnered with Augustana College by Dr. E. F. Bartholomew and Dr. J. P. Magnuson teaching psychology and chemistry, respectively. By 1930, nursing students had to complete two years of education at Augustana and three years at the hospital to earn their R.N. degree.
In 1989, Lutheran Hospital joined Moline Public Hospital, followed by Franciscan Hospital in 1992, to form Trinity Medical Center (now an affiliate of UnityPoint Health). The Lutheran Hospital was demolished in 1998.
|Scope & Content||This collection consists of financial information and resolutions of the Board of Directors of the Lutheran Hospital, Moline, Illinois, and financial petitions to the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod. Also includes an addendum to the Lutheran Hospital Annual Report of 1931 that bluntly illustrates the effect of the depression of the hospital's finances. Collection includes several hospital brochures, benefit concert programs, and a commencement program. Also includes information on the International Congress of Nurses 1929 meeting in Montreal, Canada, and a history of the Phoebe Circle, a support circle for the hospital.|
|System of arrangement||Arranged by type of material and chronologically, as appropriate.|
|Finding Aid Link||Finding Aid Link">Finding Aid Link|